So you happen to need some quick beautiful solutions to help you cover up hair loss problems? perhaps it’s just a mild bad hair day or week? And you are having to decide which to go with – weaves, wigs or hair extensions? Well before we get into this topic, let’s just start off by saying it is all a matter of preference and conditions. Wigs, weaves and hair extensions are similar, but they serve different purposes. As a shopper it’s very important to learn the difference between them so that you can determine which one best suits your needs at that point and time.
A wig is a head covering made from human hair, or synthetic fiber weft sewn onto a dome cap. Simply speaking, a wig is like a hat that you can put on or take off easily. It consists of a cap with hair attached. A weave is braided hair sewn down with the hair weft extensions, it entails braiding your natural hair and sewing the weaving hair bundles onto your own hair. Unlike weaves, hair extensions are usually clipped, glued, or sewn on natural hair by incorporating additional human hair. In general, all weaves are a type of hair extensions, but all extensions are not weaves. (I hope this makes sense)
While considering which one is better for you: weaves, wigs or hair extensions, you can consider the following aspects:
Pros and Cons of Wigs
Pros of Wigs
- Infinite style options and looks: Instead of coloring your own natural hair, you can choose to wear a wig to change your hairstyle and hair color instantly to suit the occasion. By the way, this can save your original hair from harsh bleach and chemicals.
- Lower price and longer lifespan: If you maintain a wig properly, it will last a really long time. In other words, it saves you a lot money instead of changing into a new hairstyle.
- Wigs Protect your natural hair: Not only do wigs completely cover up the damaged strands and give you perfect hair, but wigs also gives time to the damaged hair strands to recover. While your natural hair is underneath the wig and not exposed to anything from the outside; like the outside factors that could have damaged hair in the first place. For example, active sun, poor products, and hot tools.
Pros of Wigs
Cons of wigs:
Reinstall daily: It’s better for you to take off the wig before bath time and daily before going to bed. It’s not a good choice to sleep or shower with your wigs on.
Not secure enough: It’s not as secure because it isn’t sewn onto your hair.
Wigs are definitely the best choice to cover up baldness or to completely transform your hairstyle without having to make a permanent change.
Pros and Cons of Weaves or Hair Extensions
Most people incorporate a weave or hair extension to alter their hairstyle on a more permanent basis, since it’s not as easy to simply take off every day like a wig is.
Pros of Weaves or Hair Extensions
- Different hairstyle: weaves change your style instantly, without cutting your hair or growing it out, normally your hair gets braided flat and the weave gets sewn onto your hair.
- More secure: Weaves and hair extension feel more secure since they are attached to individual strands of your hair.
- More natural: Weaves work with your existing natural hair. It just adds extra volume and length.
Cons of Weaves or Hair Extensions
- Hair Loss: Improper application (like braiding hair too tight) can lead to hair loss.
- Costly: Weaves can be costly to install and maintain, Daily maintenance may not be as easy as maintaining a wig because the weave is semi permanently sewn onto your braided hair.
- Premature Tangling: If you use inferior quality hair, the hair it may tangle, shed, or look unnatural very quickly.
Which One is Best For You?
The decision on whether to choose a wig, a weave or a hair extension depends on your preferences and current circumstances. Weaves and hair extensions give similar results when it comes to length, volume, longevity, and realistic look. Wigs are much better for conditions like hair loss, thin or damaged hair.